The Tobacco Free Portfolios Story
Some of the first patients Dr. Bronwyn King cared for at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre were suffering from lung cancer. However, while doing her best to treat these people, Bronwyn was unaware she was also supporting the global production of cigarettes.
It was only during a meeting with a representative of her superannuation fund in 2010 that Bronwyn learned some of her money was flowing to tobacco companies through the default option of her superannuation fund. “I thought it was a very bad fit for me as a cancer doctor. I had watched hundreds of people die from tobacco-related disease,” Bronwyn reflects.
In the knowledge that many of her colleagues would be similarly unhappy with their unwitting investment in the tobacco industry, Bronwyn approached First State Super which had shortly before merged with Health Super. Following numerous meetings and a presentation to the Board, First State Super undertook a detailed analysis of the issue and in 2012, proudly made the decision to go tobacco free.
Scores of coffees and countless boardroom presentations later, Bronwyn is delighted with the willingness of the finance industry to engage and act on this issue. The work of the Tobacco Free Portfolios now has a global focus.
In June 2015, Clare Payne – a lawyer with a background in ethics in banking and finance – joined Tobacco Free Portfolios. She now has the role of Chief of Global Strategy and has represented Tobacco Free Portfolios at multiple global conventions.
In 2016, Dr. Rachel Melsom joined Tobacco Free Portfolios as Director, UK and Europe, with the generous support of Cancer Research UK.
Dr Bronwyn King, MBBS, FRANZCR
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Ms Clare Payne
Chief of Global Strategy
Dr Rachel Melsom MBBS, BSc.
Director, UK and Europe
- Mark is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors with more than 30 years’ experience across the insurance, financial services, healthcare and higher education sectors
- Mark has held senior executive roles with Mutual Community, HBA, National Mutual, AXA and Bupa
- Currently Executive Director and Chief Marketing Officer at La Trobe University
- Mark is a Director of St John Ambulance Australia (Vic) and St John Holdings Limited
- Alice has over 30 years’ senior management and Board level experience in the corporate and government sectors specialising in investment management, corporate advisory and equity fundraising
- Alice is a non-executive Director on a range of public, government and private boards including Djerriwarrh Investments Limited, Equity Trustees Limited, Defence Health, Cooper Energy, Victorian Funds Management Corporation, Barristers Chambers Limited and the Foreign Investment Review Board.
- Alice is also a member of the charitable trust the Felton Bequest Committee
- Alice was formerly a director of Guild Group Holdings Limited, Port of Melbourne Corporation, State Trustees, NM Rothschild and Sons (Australia) Limited, Director of Strategy and Planning for Ansett Australia Holdings Limited and a Vice President at JP Morgan Australia. She is a former council member at the Cancer Council of Victoria
- Alice holds a Bachelor of Commerce, is a Chartered Financial Analyst, a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a Fellow CPA
Dr Bronwyn King, MBBS, FRANZCR
Global Advisory Council
Leaders in finance, health, government and philanthropy support Tobacco Free Portfolios through our Global Advisory Council.
Michael Dwyer, CEO First State Super
Ian Silk, CEO Australian Super
Stewart Brentnall, CIO T Corp
Steve Somogyi, Executive Advisor at Monash and Victoria Universities; Director of Guild Group and UniSuper
The Honourable Ted Baillieu, Former Premier of Victoria
John Fraser, Secretary to the Treasury, Parliament of Australia
The Honourable Ros Kelly, former Australian Sports Minister (based in UK)
Keith Ambachtsheer, Director Emeritus International Centre for Pension Management, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto (Canada)
Professor Prabhat Jha, Director of the Centre for Global Health Research, St. Michael's Hospital and University of Toronto
Denis Duverne, Chairman AXA (France)
Olivier Rousseau, CEO Fonds de Réserve pour les Retraites (France)
Mats Andersson, former CEO AP4 (Sweden)
Jane Ambachtsheer, Partner Mercer (France)
Rob Bauer, Professor of Finance Maastricht University (The Netherlands)
Justin Arter, MD BlackRock (UK)
Lord John Hutton, Former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (UK)
Rob Lake, Founder Rob Lake Associates & Advisor to Pension Funds (UK)
Ian Maybury, Financial Professional and Independent Trustee (UK)
Colin Melvin, Founder and Managing Partner Arkadiko Partners; former CEO Hermes EOS (UK)
Dawid Konoty-Ahulu, Co-Founder Redington, Founder Mallowstreet (UK)
Xander Den Uyl, Trustee ABP; Member of the Board, PRI; Chairman, Pension Fund PWRI (Netherlands)
Sir Harpal Kumar, CEO Cancer Research UK
José Luis Castro, Chair The Non Communicable Disease Alliance; Executive Director The Union, President and CEO Vital Strategies
Anne-Lise Ryel, CEO Norwegian Cancer Society
Kristian Flyvholm, CIO Central Bank of the UAE; CEO Sovereign Investors; Former Secretary General International Forum for Sovereign Wealth Funds (UAE)
Her Royal Highness Princess Dina Mired of Jordan, President-Elect Union for International Cancer Control; Former Director General King Hussein Cancer Foundation
“Engagement with the tobacco industry is contrary to the United Nations system’s objectives, fundamental principles and values.”
Dr Vera Da Costa e Silva, Head of Secretariat of UN Tobacco Treaty, July 2017