The Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge
The Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge (The Pledge) was launched at a High-Level Side Event on 26 September 2018 at United Nation’s Headquarters, New York City, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.
Tobacco Free Portfolios was thrilled t0 launch The Pledge in partnership with the UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment, the UN Environment’s Principles for Sustainable Insurance, the UN Environment Programme Finance Initiative and four Founding Financial Partners – BNP Paribas, AXA, Natixis and AMP Capital.
Clare Payne, Dr Bronwyn King, Her Royal Highness Princess Dina Mired of Jordan, Dr Rachel Melsom, Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge Launch, United Nations Headquarters NYC
Speakers at the event included:
- Minister Agnes Buzyn, the French Minister of Solidarity and Health
- His Excellency Paul Blokhuis, The Dutch State Secretary for Health, Welfare and Sports
- Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General
- Her Royal Highness Princess Dina Mired of Jordan, President of the Union for International Cancer Control
- Dr Vera Luiza da Costa e Silva, Head of Secretariat of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- Ms Annette Dixon, the Vice President for Human Development at the World Bank Group
- Mr Nick Grant, Cancer Research UK, Executive Director, International Partnerships
- The Honourable Malcolm Turnbull, 29th Prime Minister of Australia
- Mr John Chiang, 33rd Treasurer of California
- Mr Jean-Laurent Bonnafe, CEO BNP Paribas
- Mr Denis Duverne, Chair AXA
- Mr Francois Riahi, CEO Natixis
- Mr Adam Tindall, CEO AMP Capital
- Mr Michael Dwyer, CEO First State Super
The Pledge aims to celebrate and recognise the leading financial organisations that have moved to tobacco-free finance and to encourage others to follow suit. There were more than 90 ‘Founding Signatories’ of The Pledge including some of the world’s largest banks, insurers and pension funds, with headquarters in 18 different countries. The total combined assets of the Founding Signatories is more than US $6.5 Trillion.
Over the next two years, Tobacco Free Portfolios will be working hard to recruit more Signatories and to advance and escalate the tobacco-free finance conversation across the globe. In 2020 we will regroup at the UN with more Signatories, Supporters, partners and progress.
We warmly welcome financial organisations to become Signatories of The Pledge and NGOs and health groups to become Supporters of The Pledge.
Click on the button below to sign The Pledge.
Mark Engel, Chair of Board of Tobacco Free Portfolios, Dr Bronwyn King, Her Royal Highness Princess Dina Mired of Jordan, Global Ambassador for Tobacco Free Portfolios, Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge Launch, United Nations Headquarters NYC
Global leaders in finance, health and government unite in tobacco control efforts, Tobacco-Free Finance Pledge Launch, United Nations Headquarters NYC